Volunteering With Medical Mercy Canada
- Every year we collect, sort, and pack thousands of kilos of medical supplies and good quality clothing for our overseas projects. We also run an annual casino, and concessions at the Calgary Flames games. Find out more!
- Like most charitable organizations, Medical Mercy Canada relies very heavily on its community of volunteers. From its meager and humble beginnings almost twelve years ago, MMC can contribute its exponential and optimistic growth to this enthusiastic group of people. They have made it possible to keep MMC a true charitable organization with the graciousness of their generosity. The time and efforts they donate have made it continually possible for MMC to optimize its goal of ensuring all donations (money and otherwise) are given solely to our overseas projects.
- An annual volunteer appreciation evening is held to thank our volunteers their much appreciated time and effort in making MMC carry on in such a successful manner. This an opportunity for the volunteers to meet each other and learn about recent over seas trips, as well as an opportunity for potential volunteers to learn more about MMC.
- New volunteers are always welcome. There is a place for everyone, as we require assistance in many different areas from administrative duties to donation collection to medical expertise. For more information regarding volunteering with MMC please feel free to contact the MMC office.
- For volunteering overseas:Application Requirements for Foreign Project Volunteers
2. Prospective volunteer’s personal information
a) Curriculum Vitae.
b) Letter ( 1/2 to 3/4 page) stating:
-reasons why you want to go
-what you expect that you will be able to do
-what you believe you are able to contribute
-what you feel the people you will visit will gain from yo-what you feel you will leave behind after you leave
4. Deposit: - $1000 - 6 months prior to trip. It will be used to pay for volunteer’s trip.
- if volunteer cancels, deposit is non-refundable but becomes a donation to MMC and an income-tax receipt will be issued for the charitable donation.
5. Volunteer work with MMC prior to trip (subject to adjustment following interview)
-6 months to 1 year
-help collect supplies, sort, pack, raise funds help with Fundraising Dinner,
-attend meetings as necessary
6. Personally raise a minimum of $200 donation
-this will be added to the total funds MMC designates for the project you will go on. You will be
asked for some input into how you feel that particular amount of money should be spent
7. Be able to work as a team member
-take direction, advice, criticism
-give suggestions when you feel appropriate
-work and live in often poor, difficult, simple and emotional conditions
-be safe always, for yourself, your team members, and the people whom you are helping
-always remember that you and the team are there for the people you are helping and not for yourself
8. Be prepared to give a report on your work (during the project) in written and oral form within 6 months of your return.
9. Write a 1 page article for the “MMC Update” magazine due mid March or mid August dependant on the project in which you participate.
10. Be prepared to depart Calgary to the “Project Destination” along with other Project Team Members
11. Be prepared to sign “Waiver and Release of Liability” form before departure on Project.
Every charitable organization depends on its volunteer base in order to achieve its mission and goals. Medical Mercy Canada is no different. Ever since our first trip in 1992 to Thailand to help the Burmese refugees and to Ukraine to deliver medicines to remote, impoverished villagers, we have depended on volunteers to:
1. Pick up donations of medicines from doctors who donate samples given to them by pharmaceutical companies.
2. Re-package and re-label drug samples so they take less room and weigh less in parcels shipped to Ukraine or Thailand.
3. Pick up donated medical supplies or “Aids to Daily Living”.
4. Sort, wash, categorize, and take inventory of donated medical supplies. Repair as needed.
5. Pick up donated clothing. Sort, wash, mend and categorize for shipping.
6. Make quilts, Afghans, Teddy Bears, Hats, mitts, Scarves etc. for those in need.
7. Attend packing days at MMC warehouse where all assembled medicines, supplies and clothes are then neatly and safely packed into appropriate sized boxes for shipping to Ukraine. For each box, a list is made which is then taken by the team members to Ukraine in May of the following year to confirm the safe and complete arrival of the box contents by the recipient.
8. Organize and carry out the annual Fund Raising Dinner held every October.
9. Collect photos; prepare graphics for “Story Boards” used at Fundraiser Dinner and Presentations throughout the year.
10. Collect, categorize, prepare silent auction items for Fund Raising Dinner.
11. Document Business and Strategic Planning activities for each Committee.
12. Offer time, self support, and expertise to Foreign Projects.
13. Write articles for the MMC “Update”.
14. Create and manage the MMC website.
15. Create and manage the MMC database for Members and Volunteers.
16. Create and mail out appeal letters to prospective donors.
17. Create “Thank you” letters to our donors.
18. Keep accurate and complete records of all donations and expenses for MMC; deliver financial information to accountant for auditing.
19. Create, publish, and mail out the MMC Update biannually.
Medical Mercy Canada would not exist without the sincere commitment and dedication of the volunteers. To all the volunteers who work tirelessly for MMC, take a bow and give yourself a big PAT ON THE BACK.
THANK YOU ONE AND ALL!
-Elaine R.M. Semkuley